Senior Cloud Developer
Kailos Genetics, a clinical laboratory located within the HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology (Huntsville, AL), is searching for a full-time senior cloud developer. This position is for a seasoned software developer who will develop and manage cloud-based applications that are paired with the Kailos Genetics Target Rich® DNA enrichment technology. The Kailos Blue suite of software applications provides tools that help R&D lab scientists and Clinical lab personnel prepare samples for DNA sequencing, analyze the sequencing results, and develop various novel analytical tools and views to quickly assess the quality and genetic attributes of the sequencing results. In addition, Kailos Blue also provides tools that assist in managing the core business operations and networked assets. This position is full-time, some nights and weekends required, salaried and offers competitive benefits, including healthcare insurance.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your resume to email@example.com.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
The ideal candidate is a self-starter that works independently within a multidisciplinary team. This person will work closely with the executive management team in the planning and design of software. Specifically, one will design web-based software that runs efficiently in an Amazon Cloud (AWS) environment. That work will generally include web-based views, middle tier modules, and data-intensive back-end tools that process the extremely large DNA sequencing result sets. This person will help resolve laboratory and operational issues and work with external integrations with customers and partners.
Preferred Experience and skills
- Experience with all aspects of the software engineering process including: refinement of requirements, estimation, design, development, and test. Experience with agile methods and rapid deployment cycles is highly desired.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize and handle multiple and changing priorities and projects. Requires the ability to work with interdisciplinary teams, including sales, marketing, finance, bioinformatics, and scientists.
- Ability to quickly master new skills, methods and tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to express scientific results in a clear, concise manner.
Preferred Technical Skills
- Solid hands-on experience building solutions using AWS (Amazon Web Services)
- Security: IAM, OpenVPN, Firewalls, AWS Inspector
- Cloud Networking: VPC, Routes, and Network ACLs, Load Balancers
- Hosting: EC2, Docker Containers, Lambda
- Storage: RDS, S3, DynamoDB
- Deployment: CloudFormation, Chef
- Rest API Gateway
Software Engineering Experience
- Compute: Java, Ruby, R, Python
- Service: Writing and Consuming RESTful Web Services
- Database: MySQL
- Scripting: Bash
- Containers: Docker
- OS: CentOS or AWS Linux
Other Desirable Experience
- Experience working with Next-Gen DNA Sequencing Data pipelines
- Experience working on a CLIA/CAP laboratory environment
- Experience working in a HIPAA regulated environment
- Experience with various Bioinformatics tools